Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My New Bike

As i mentioned last time i became obessed with getting a bicycle. I went to about five different shops, telling them all that i wanted a single speed bike (or fixed gear)with coasting breaks. I thought hand breaks were not astheticly pleasing. Almost every shop i went to told me that sounded like a crazy idea. They said first of all, Korea has many moutains and hills so it's a good idea have a bike with gears. I told every shop that i don't want gears on my bike and if they insisted that i get a bike with gears then i would (and did) take my business elsewhere. While i was at one shop i heard about LSD bikes. But nobody knew the address, so i did some research on the net. I found a blog in which they mentioned LSD, i was able to get the phone number by looking at the pic. There were a few other blogs that mentioned them but none of them had a phone number or address. Also i really liked this blog becasue i thought the girl was cute. So i ended up calling the number but i got no answer, then i asked someone else to help me find their site and it turns they were closed. (they're always closed on monday and i just happend to be calling on a monday)

http://blog.naver.com/PostThumbnailView.nhn?blogId=soobin316&logNo=113793215&categoryNo&parentCategoryNo=19

So on Tuesday i had my co-teacher call and ask for the address, and that Saturday i went to their shop. When i got there i was greeted by growls from their dog penny. So i growled back at her, and that's when they called her back and someone came to help me. I told them what i wanted, a fixed gear with coasting breaks. He explained about korea having moutains and i told him i don't want no gears. He said okay and began to looking for a coasting break for his bike frames. He explained to me that a coasting break hub is different from the hubs on his frames. Later explained that no one imports coasting breaks to Korea so it would be impossiable. so i asked for a regular fixie bike with no hand breaks and he said that was no problem.

three weeks later i got an e-mail saying my bike was ready and i can pick it up when i'm ready. so i went to the store as soon as i got my paycheck and picked it up. I dub my bike with the name "Red Bull" for the time being. Until i get the new spokes i wanted by then i will change the name to "Red Star" Now i'm off to explore Korea with my new bike, or at least i will after i get back from Japan.