Thursday, August 7, 2008

Jeong Doo Hong is the MAN

I mentioned a few days ago that I met Jeong Doo Hong. Well he made a phone call and arranged a meeting with me and Hong Kyong Pyo. I looked him up online before i met him and didn't find much, now that i already met him to told me to look under his "english" name and i did. Now I know why Jeong Doo Hong called Hong Kong Pyo. I mentioned to him that I liked one of his lines in the Korean film the Champion (챔피언) where he's drinking and they talk about why the lead character was called "dog" when he was younger, it's halirous. He mentioned a few times to me how lucky i am because he doesn't meet with people for interviews. He told me he usually goes by word of mouth form his crew.But since Jeong Doo Hong called him he would hire me. When we started talking about all the Korean films i know he asked me if I was Korean American, i told him no that i was Mexican American and he asked if i was sure. I had lunch with his crew where i found out i was over dressed. Because I met another cinematographer in American named Man Sung Sun i was expecting a older bussiness man type. So i wore a button up shirt and Kakis, but saw everyone in cargo shorts and baseball caps. He asked if I had a resume or a demo reel. I had to tell him no, this was my first time in Korea and I was mainly doing sightseeing. I never actually expected to have meetings with people in the Korean film industry, except for the meeting Man Sung said he was going to arrange which hasn't happend yet. After we had lunch he took me back to his office, his crew were doing film test with the new Kodak vision III film. Which i thought was kinda funny because we had a small demo and disscussion in my photo theory class.
When we returned to his office, he had his crew assemble a camera to finish doing film tests. We talked a little more and he said he would hire me. That we would start shooting in September. But i told him i had plan to go back to chicago and finish school, she said to me that he never finished film school. I told him that it was important to my parents that i finish college. so he gave me his bussiness card along with his personal info to contact him when I done with school. He told me that there are so few directos/film makers in Korea. that they were all like one big family and that if i worked with him that I would meet everyone. When I return I hope to be albe to speak more Korean.
Now that i looked under his english name i see what films he's done and know a few of them. Here are a few pics from my collection that he filmed.
M - 엠
Taegukgi - 태극기 휘날리며
The Champion - 챔피언

1 comment:

spacebar1 said...

Chris, where's the new updates?? You gotta write about the hot girls!